Facebook Google Plus RSS

Monday, January 25, 2010

2012

As some of you might have guessed after reading the title (unless you didn’t read it which proves you’re an idiot), I am now talking about disaster movies. So if you have been watching Hannah Montana or Twilight you have to get out of here. Now. I’m serious, get out. For after my first review of New Moon you will be accusing me of being biased and you will be reporting me to the Home Ministry for sedition.


They’re out? Good riddance.

Anyway, back to disaster movies. Some that are working in the film industry (I’m assuming most of you are not) realize that making a disaster movie is actually, a big risk. It requires lots of special effects, lots of acting, and ultimately, lots of money. And at the end, you have to make sure the plot is really good or the movie will be, well, a disaster.

One good example is “The Day The Earth Stood Still’. You haven’t watched it? Don’t. Because that film is predictable, has a horrible plot, and has no feeling. In other words, a real disaster movie. So don’t watch it. Unless you want to watch a disaster movie. I mean literally. Or not. (Hits head) This is confusing. But you know what I mean, right?

So, that movie was bad. Oh, the planes are going to be shot down… yes they’re down. And look, the people are just running around with no sense of direction! And the entire Washington D.C. is still intact! And about the Earth standing still, oh yes it did…. For the last 10 seconds of the movie.

But let’s look on the bright side, they’re not all bad. For example, ‘The Day After Tomorrow’. Now that was a good movie. How do I know? Well, I watched it quite a few years ago, and I can’t forget it. Not many movies do that to me.

However, after that, there really weren’t any good disaster movies that I could remember at all. In fact, the whole industry went downwards with the economy, producing things like…New Moon. Ugh.

But now, I’m happy to say, a good movie is back. 2012. It might be a little fake at times, but it has two things that many disaster movies lacked: Feeling, humour and a good plot. Ok, that’s three. Some people can’t count well, alright?

But I feel that the thing that made this movie stand out was the humour. I mean, quite a few movies had a good plot and feeling, but you can’t find many with all three. Like:

“I can’t start the engine!”

“What do you mean?!!”

“Oh no…”

“Everyone shut up! (Pauses) Engine on. (Bentley engine starts up-looks at driver) “Voice control.”

“Oh.”

You might not really get it here, so watch the film. If you have, you know what I mean.

I know some of those New Moon fans did not listen to my advice and have kept on reading, and are now saying that 2012 is special effects and nothing else. Well, I have only one thing to say: read my disclaimer and walk away.

Now.


Terence Wang challenges those who think they can counter his opinion to comment below, and those who agree with him to also comment.


Disclaimer: As mentioned above, this article is for certain audiences only. The writer does not take responsibility for anything deemed offensive or insulting in this article.

No comments :