Facebook Google Plus RSS

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Calling Home, Part 3: The Ones Left Behind

Jit Sin high school field and entrance


Calling Home is a series of articles dedicated to cherishing the memories made when away from home, and the people who make them. In Part 3/6, Gregory Goh recounts a year spent with the absence of two very close people.

“You called for me, sir?”

“Ah, Mister Gregory. Yes, come in. Are you interested to join a public speaking competition?”

“Public speaking? Erm... I’m not too sure...”
“Good. I signed you up already.”

“What?!”



“It will be good for you. Your best friend Terence also enjoys public speaking so much, didn’t you know?”

“Yeah, but we’re different.”

“Meet me during recess next Wednesday, at Computer Lab 3, ok?”

“Okay...”

I walked out of Mr Heng’s (or Mr Pius, as he preferred to be called) dark office and made my way back to class. I started having butterflies in my stomach, as I have never spoken publicly before. All those years, he was satisfied and even impressed with Terence’s participation. Now, they’re trying to find someone to fit into his shoes, starting with his best friend, me.

As honoured as I am by that, I am terribly shy (and lazy), so that’s why I haven’t involved myself in the school’s activities. Terence, on the other hand, is the exact opposite, resulting in him having quite a significant presence back here in Jit Sin. Now that he’s gone to Singapore, that presence is just begging to be filled. Which leads back to me, Terence’s best comrade for 8 years. The few teachers that know the both of us came to me and dragged me in. Honestly, I didn’t like all the attention. I totally didn’t ask for it. I’m not Terence! Yes, my English is good, just like him, which is kind of rare in school, but our personalities are just different. Yeah, maybe I can be Terence in school, if you stand far, far away and squint. But I can’t be Greg AND Terence. I’ll be sent to Tanjung Rambutan for schizophrenia.

******

August 2011. The month my elder sister left for Chicago. I don’t remember why I didn’t send her off at the airport, but now I feel kinda stupid for not doing that. Might have been my PMR exams. On that note, it was a pity she couldn’t join us when we celebrated after I took my results and many other occasions. There was that trip to Hanoi to see my dad, Christmas, CNY 2012 etc. It just isn’t the same when she’s not around. Without her, I’d be the eldest sibling at home. Sounds fun, hmm? Trust me, it’s not. With my ‘Good Guy’ nature and 3 other monkeys in the house, guess who’s the one getting bullied?

I remember the time when Grace highlighted her hair red.

“Can you all see it? There, just here, the reddish part,” she told us one day through Skype.

“A bit lo... Poor quality video la,” said one of us.

My brother, Geoff, the youngest among us, who's just too egoistic show his face on camera, shouted from a corner of the room:

“Har, jie jie dye hair?! Huiyo, when come back sure not nice one!”

“I didn’t dye all of my hair la, Geoff. Small part only.”

“Still the same!”

2012 was...a rather tough-ish year. Having both your sister and best friend leave, almost at the same time in fact, that’s...not easy, to put it lightly. I will say, though, that I managed to grow up, somewhat, and be more responsible and outgoing (hopefully?). I do miss having them around, but they’re back for the holidays, and I’ll just be thankful for that, however short the time frame.

People say it all the time, but it remains true: appreciate everyone around you now, they might just leave for greener pastures on a (very) short notice.


Words by Gregory Goh
Picture by LH Isurgranddad

No comments :