Facebook Google Plus RSS

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Campaign Against Exams

When this post is up, our Form 3 "brothers and sisters" will have gone through their first day of PMR exams.

During this time, our cabinet ministers, Education Ministry folk and other "very important people" will be herded around tables, arguing discussing whether PMR should be held next year. Oh, and UPSR too.

Do I think they should be held? No. I don't want to write a long article jumbled with words about the various points to WHY it shouldn't be held because most people will fall asleep half way through. Instead, I will simply say this: Do we really want us to be exam-orientated robots? Who only care about the highest marks? Who don't know about anything other than what's written in our textbooks?

Didn't think so!

However, there is an even better argument for my campaign against exams.

The Suburban K.I.D. (don't forget, that's the name of the blog you are reading!)Blog Committee has done a little research and found that an average tree would produce 80,500 sheets of paper(http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/question16.htm). Taking an average of 5 sheets per exam, one form uses 163,800 sheets of paper(including all subjects) in a year.

I know what you are thinking: 2 trees, so what? Ah, but I have not included the other types of paper used, e.g. test pad. And remember, this is only ONE form. If I had tried to include everything(which I can't, I don't have enough data), the figure would definitely be much higher.

So there you have it: Stop Exams to Help Save Trees. And demand that our teachers stop asking us to help to conserve the environment unless this act of cutting down trees to make exam paper is stopped.


The Suburban K.I.D. Blog Committee would like to wish all Form 3 pupils good luck in sitting for PMR.

Blog Admin(Terence): Special shoutout to Jiawin Ng who will be leaving for Singapore soon to congratulate him for getting the Asean Scolarship. Your friends in Form 2, including this writer, will miss you.

No comments :