Facebook Google Plus RSS

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Stepping Out


On the Malaysian Airlines flight from Ho Chi Minh to Kuala Lumpur, the passenger beside me sported thick rimmed glasses along with a striped t-shirt and beige khaki shorts. Although I had only a quick glance, it was evident the Caucasian man was already past his working years.

A few minutes after boarding had completed, the already familiar yet compulsory safety briefing video interrupted the movie that I was fully engrossed in. Slightly dismayed, I moaned silently.



Moments later, the Boeing 737 thundered along the runway with its two jet engines roaring exuberantly below. Hoping to catch a glimpse of the magnificent view outside, I instead spotted the senior citizen tinkering with his earphones, trying to plug them into the in-flight entertainment system. He ended up failing because they were not compatible with each other. After a woefully long debate with myself, I decided to offer him some assistance.

Sure enough, after a few minutes, I was somehow able to get his earphones working, albeit with a bit of magic and pixie dust. I guess Asians are usually pretty good at this stuff.

“Alright, way to go!" he replied with an enthusiastic tone, definitely looking impressed. I forced an awkward smile in return. An iPad mini with a sliver-greyish tone nestled in his hands, displaying rows of ostentatiously designed virtual jewels.

"Do you play Candy Crush?"

"No, I don't." I replied, chuckling coyly.

This is for me, although small, a step towards social sanity.

No comments :