Facebook Google Plus RSS

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Eye Contact

"Where are you?"

"I just got out of the workshop," her silvery voice echoed through the phone. "Are you outside?"

"No, I'm on the opposite end of the hallway, by the exhibitions."

"Okay, I'm on my way."

I watched the crowd of students walk past, some clueless, others curious. My eyes lit up as I caught sight of a cute girl of small stature, dressed in a salmon-coloured blouse and dark leggings.

I sneaked up to her. "Hello."

"Oh hey, I didn't see you there."



A smirk crept up my face. "You look beautiful."

"I always dress up when I go out." She smiled.

Going to the education fair was just a cover. I already have my education plans in mind. I just wanted to see her. Now that I have, it was awkward. I had no idea what to do next. So we walked around looking at the exhibitions.

We finished scanning through the small collection of universities and colleges. It was ten minutes to 1. Neither of us had lunch yet. The idea had been drifting around since the day before. One of us had to grab it.

"You hungry?" she asked.

"Yeah, but I've no idea what's good around here."

"Just follow my lead."

We descended to the lobby in an elevator (almost) to ourselves. She led me out and away to a humble restaurant off the main street. We grabbed a table and sat opposite each other. After placing our order, we started to chat. Oh, what a conversation!

For the full 20 minutes of our waiting time, there was nothing else in my world besides her. I was getting lost in her eyes. She wasn't wearing her glasses, but contacts instead. But I didn't mind. I realized, that was the longest time I ever held eye contact with someone. Never have I looked someone straight in the eyes for over a minute. This was something new to me. I relished the experience. I didn't want it to end.

And then lunch was served.

No comments :