Facebook Google Plus RSS

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Now You See It (Reader Contribution)

#shortstories is an ongoing series of articles recounting some of our interesting real life experiences.

Words by Jolene Siew

“It's a locked room murder!”

“How did the suspect escape?”

“The key's right beside the deceased.”

My eyes lit up in excitement as I glued them onto the screen, paying special attention to the crime scene trying my best to source out clues. As usual, the police force is utterly useless and the case can only be cracked by the lead – or in this case (pun unintentional), leads.



Ryuu, the mysterious goth boy yet the genius in Class Q decided to take it into his own hands and investigate it himself, arriving at the crime scene a few hours later armed with a box of blue markers which look like candy. He arrived at the door and accidentally dropped the box he was holding, allowing those tiny markers to scatter on the floor. Amazingly, they decide to roll off in the same direction towards the position of the deceased, after bumping into the boxes which were positioned at the sides of the warehouse.

And they rolled right next to the white chalk which outlined the victim, just as Ryuu opened the door to check.

The gears in my head rotated and clinked as I tried to gather all that I had learnt so far. Since the markers rolled into the exact position where the key was found, it was certain that the floor of the warehouse was slightly inclined, but little enough to be barely visible... And the murderer probably used the same trick with the one and only key to the warehouse. It would be easy to freeze a key in an icy sphere and simply let it roll to that spot! The boxes were probably aligned in a certain way to help guide it next to the victim.

With a triumphant grin, I snapped my fingers and proclaimed proudly to nobody in particular, “I solved the case!”

Feeling rather accomplished seeing that it was just half of the episode, I leaned back in my seat and enjoyed the remaining 25 minutes. The suspect was caught, interrogated, and found guilty.

Another mystery solved. I mentally edited the number of my "MYSTERIES SOLVED" list and clicked on the link which showed "Next Episode of Tantei Gakuen Q".

No comments :