Facebook Google Plus RSS

Thursday, November 7, 2013

I See You

#shortstories is an ongoing series of articles recounting some of our interesting real life experiences.

As with many things, spotting her was a pure coincidence. Or luck, depending on what you believe in. I lay back against my chair, partially relieved from completing a long, tedious chemistry worksheet. Massaging my neck a little, I leaned slightly to my right, momentarily enjoying the sweet joy of completion.

I saw her.


Out of the corner of my eye, a full-white uniform subconsciously activated my long term memory, having gotten used to seeing it nearly daily at school. I tilted my head just a bit more, and confirmed my sighting. She was launching her daily attack - every day, when I was least expecting it, she would sneak up behind me, quieter than a mouse, sneakier than a cat, and tap one of my shoulders while standing at the other side. Then, as I instinctively turned to my tapped shoulder to check, she would walk away quickly in the opposite direction, triumphant and smirking.

Not today.

I quickly realised my little victory, and tried hard to contain the gleeful grin that came immediately upon the realisation. By then, of course, she too had noticed my stare, and froze to her spot. For a split second, we were like gunslingers in the town square, stares deadlocked, silently daring the other to make the first move.

She did. A wistful grin, a playful stamp on the ground, finished off with a hushed "dammit". Then she swiftly disappeared among the bookshelves.



Picture credit to www.layerbag.com

2 comments :

anon said...

Sounds familiar.

Terence Wang said...

"anon"
"juhlyn@live.com"

Yeahhh. Nice try.