Facebook Google Plus RSS

Friday, December 23, 2011

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish (Christmas Special II)

If you don't understand the title, shame on you. Go look it up.

So much has been happening this month.

My blog has just celebrated it's 2nd birthday yesterday - although once again, I failed to do anything about it, Christmas is coming - yay! - and the year, this very interesting year, is ending.

Oh, yeah, and I'm leaving.


So let's tackle them one by one.

Blog Birthday


It's Suburban KID's 2nd birthday! Woo-hoo! Time for partying! Alcohol! Drugs!

So, as always, I would like to say... A very big thank you to my parents-and-brother-and-relatives-and-readers-and-friends-especiallybestfriends-and-teachers-and-my-dog-which-I-do-not-have.

Done.

But seriously, it's been a great two years, and we here at Suburban KID really appreciate all of you readers out there, and I'm just going to leave it at that because I'm short on time.


Christmas Coming


There's nothing much to say about this really, except, again, I love Christmas. Always did, always will. For more, see part 1 of this Christmas post.

Year Ending

There's actually quite a bit to say here, but I won't, simply because if I start, I won't stop.And of course there's the issue of time.

So, I'll leave that to fellow blogger and friend Jiawin, whose new blog will be opened at the stroke of midnight of the new year. He'll be covering the most important things of the year, such as events, songs etc. Head over and spam his blog instead.

Me Leaving

To be honest, I'm finding it hard to believe that in just a few days time, I'll be on a plane that will take me to the next phase of my life: Away from home.

How does it feel?

Exciting. It's a whole new world, a treasure trove of possibilities. Finally, a place to start over, to venture down new paths. Somewhere, hopefully, where my colour and creed will not be an obstacle to success.

Frightening. Again, it's a whole new world. Anything can happen. Will I be able to adapt to the concrete, high-pressure world that is Singapore? Will I finally be able to adapt to their Maths? Will their standards be so high that I'll eventually die of pressure? I don't know, but I'm hoping for the best.

Sad. It's really goodbye now, isn't it? Not forever, of course, far from it, but...some things will never be the same, for I realized this is a bigger transition than I thought.

In the next four years, the majority of time will be spent there. Not in my familiar home, or the Jit Sin I've come to know over the last three years. After that? University, which isn't home either. I realised that after this, things will be different forever.

A while ago, us members of the old debate team had a meet-up. And in the midst of our fun and laughter, it hit me that we were all going down different paths. There would be no telling when all of us could gather in whole again. In fact, we weren't even all present that day. It was an epiphany of sorts, and not a happy one.

But I feel one more thing: Grateful. Grateful for the fact that, I have a great family, who put me over themselves. Grateful for awesome friends, who made this year an unforgettable one, full of up, downs and lots of hair-raising stuff. Grateful for great teachers, for helping a lot in PMR and wishing me luck down the road. Grateful, for all the people who've cared about me, and have made life worth living.

So. (raises wine glass)

Here's to the givers. The carers, and the lovers. These people could lead a life only caring about themselves, but they choose to give a little of themselves to just brighten up someone else's day. Here's a toast to them, for they are the ones, through their thoughts, and their actions, who make the world a better place.

This is the last post of this phase of my life. I'll be looking forward to the next.


1 comment :

person with a dimmer path than the rest of the team said...

And we'll miss you...hope you enjoyed the book i gave you and i also hope the gross facts (mike,headless chicken) reminds you of us. And i actually gave you the book out of (dare i say it?) Sincerity...(tho my comments were just an added bonus) ;)