Facebook Google Plus RSS

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Sweet Dreams

“You look absolutely dashing, sir.”

“My charming French acquaintance brings me nothing but the sharpest suits, dear Jake. And please, stop calling me sir. You’re my wingman, not my servant.” I quipped. “You look handsome yourself.” I said with a grin.

“I feel all wrapped up and uncomfortable.” replied Jake.

“Oh you’re just not used to wearing suits. You’ll get the hang of it. So much classier than jeans and a tee.” I glanced at my watch. 9.30 p.m. “We’d best be off now. Don’t wanna be late!”

“Wait,” said Jake, “Who is it this time?”

“Number 10. She’s a tough one to catch!”


She was to be attending a farewell dinner for the international exchange students in Tokyo. A time to dress up and enjoy their last night in Japan while trading goodbye hugs and kisses. It wasn’t easy for me to procure an invitation, let alone two, so I didn’t. Gate-crashing the party would be a bad idea anyway. I just had to be her chauffeur.

As the clock ticked close to 11, the last remnants of the evening’s dessert were being savoured while tears started to smear mascara. People were leaving, and it was time to make a move. Jake stood up and made his way over to the elevators, ready to distract her buddy. I continued to lounge in the lobby’s reading room with a clear view of the elevators.

The elevator doors opened and the students poured out slowly, reluctant to part with each other. When I saw Jake walk off with Corina, her closest friend, I started scanning the crowd for her. It took me a while to notice that she let her hair down instead of pulling it into a tight bun like she always does. Not wearing glasses also did wonders at changing her appearance. She was wearing a flattering dress that covered her long legs but accentuated her slim, petite figure.

I walked over to her and put an arm over her shoulder. “Hello, Sakura.” She jumped slightly at my sudden appearance and stood surprised when she realized who I was.

“Gio! What are you doing here?”

“I was just passing by. Figured you would need a ride.”

“Passing by? I thought you went to the States already.” she said in a tone of disbelief.

“Just a little stopover to see my little sweetie pie before I fly to the other side of the world.” I replied with my million dollar smile.

“Oh, stop it, you.” she chuckled. “I came with Corina so I won’t be needing a ride, thank you.”

“I believe she ran off with Jake.” I said, turning to look behind me. “She’ll be fine.”

“Always planning two steps ahead, huh? Seems like I’ve no other choice.”

“Don’t make it sound so bad, Sakura.”

I tilt my head down and take a whiff of her hair. Ah, the subtle fragrance of cherry blossoms. That’s why I call her Sakura. I close my eyes and take a deeper breath.

***

I feel my head resting on a pillow. The rest of my body is lying sideways and curled up. I open my eyes only to see a scarred white wall. The wall of my bedroom. So it was all just a dream, then?

And it was all going so well. Too bad. 

I sat upright and felt the tug of a wire on the back of my head. Dammit, it wasn’t a dream. Just another subconscious virtual memory. I pull out the data cable from my head and the cybernetic implant seals the port. I breathe a deep sigh. As much as I wanted to, I couldn’t dream anymore. Not naturally. The pain of being a cyborg.

1 comment :

Jolene said...

that plot twist