Facebook Google Plus RSS

Monday, July 1, 2013

Butterflies In My Stomach


poker cards

Words by Gregory Goh

In an ice-cold room, dressed in only a T-shirt and shorts, I sat in a corner, watching the various performances on stage during the last night of a camp. Except that I wasn’t really paying attention to the exotic dances and entertaining skits. All I knew was that I was shivering from head to toe, not because of the cold, but because I was nervous beyond compare. My heart kept pounding like bongo drums on steroids. I went through my performance in my head, thinking about what I should say and do. I totally was not prepared for it, to be honest.

I took a deep breath when I heard the applause for the previous number. “Next up, we shall have Gregory up on stage, I think he has some magic for us, is that right?” said the emcee. I stood up and nodded. Armed with only a deck of cards, a heart that is desperately trying to escape my chest cavity, and my nonexistent charisma, I shambled up on stage for my debut... as a magician.

“Good evening, everyone,” I said as I tried to suppress the butterflies in my stomach. I put on my signature smirk and took a bow. I adjusted the mike stand and spoke, “My friends at the back, can you hear me?” “Yes!” came the reply. “Excellent. Let us begin. I shall require three volunteers from the audience, so let’s see those hands!” Up came the hands of the kids, something I expected yet dreaded at the same time. Their immaturity would be easy to trick, yet their hyperactivity might mess up my performance. “Any adults want to volunteer?” I asked, only to be faced by awkward silence. Kids then, I thought to myself, and invited them onstage.

I lined them up straight and asked, “Okay, now who would like to go first?” The three of them looked stunned at that question. Someone from the audience asked, “Go where?” At that remark, I realized my slip-up. I rephrased my question, “Who would like to pick a card first?” Instantly the young boy raised his hand and shouted, “Me! Me! Me!” while hopping enthusiastically. I sprung the deck and told him to tell me when to stop. At his signal, I passed him his card and asked him to show it to the audience and memorize it. Then I said, “Now I would like you return to your seat, and sit on the card.” He was taken aback at my request but I repeated it and he obliged, seeming a bit disappointed.

I turned to the two remaining girls and asked them to choose a card each. Again I asked them to show it to the audience. For the younger girl, I crouched down to her level and began to guess her card. She was easy to read, and I announced her card within 5 seconds. I then faced to the other girl. After staring for a while, I said, “Wow, you’re kinda hard to read. Focus on your card, then look into my eyes.” After a few awkward moments, “Okay, I think I know your card. Would you please return it to the deck?” I performed a fancy false shuffle and announced, “When I spell out your card, the last card will be yours. S-I-X O-F S-P-A-D-E-S” The audience cheered when I showed that it was indeed, her card.

The young boy was getting anxious, fidgeting in his front row seat. When the girl stepped off the stage he promptly raised his hand and asked, “What about me?” I replied, “Don’t worry, I haven’t forgotten about you.” I approached him and took a good long stare at him. “Would you open your mouth, please?” Everyone burst into laughter as I stared down his throat, as if I could see the card through him. “I think I see it, is it a black card? A club? Is that it?” He nodded. “Alright, I need you to tilt your head back some more... Aha! The nine of clubs!” The astonished look on the boy’s face was priceless and rewarding for me. I returned to the stage amidst the crowd’s thundering applause. “Now who would like to see our emcee be a magician?” The reply was unanimous. I invited him onstage and passed him the deck of cards. What happened next? I think it would be better if I told you myself.

Picture credit to: http://hdwallpaperspack.com/dbs/playing_cards_wallpapers.html

No comments :