Facebook Google Plus RSS

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Welcome to Suburban KID

For the entire length of its uptime, Suburban KID has always been a one-man operation.

I wrote my own posts. Did my own web developing. Explored and experimented the CSS-HTML-filled innards of the blog myself. Worked on my own photo editing. And, of course, took full credit when the work was finally done and published.

It's been a great time. I still remember the times when I would feel bored, whether at school or at home, and log into the familiar Blogger homepage to spend some time on this blog. Sometimes I would write, sometimes I would tweak the design. Other times I did nothing productive at all. It was a wholly different world; it was something that gave me a true sense of ownership, and as Suburban KID grew and matured, a sense of pride as well.

However, with growth and expansion comes new tasks and responsibilities. Readers expect more; the days where I would pen a nonsensical post about Miley Cyrus (don't ask) are long gone. Quality is a necessity, and that means more focused writing, better editing, better pictures, and the like.

It is with those reasons that I announce that the one-man operation ends today.



And it is with great spirits and total confidence in which I announce that long-time friend, rival and confidant Siangling Tan has joined Suburban KID.

Also known as Celeste, she will be taking the role of Designer. This role will include tasks that relate to, but are not limited to, general web design, photo sourcing and editing, user interface, etc. Her work can already be seen in the form of 1) the site's new logo (which is still being tweaked), and 2) the new header, which has elements that pay tribute to the site's very first theme.

Frankly, I don't see this website as a blog anymore. Technically and structurally, it still is, but it can be so much more. And it's already happening. It's all in the content - no more badly written posts, minimal errors, constant improvements on design, and so on. The founding of this new team is another stepping stone, another rung on the ladder towards a truly great website.

Some may say I think too far. Suburban KID is a tiny drop in the vast ocean of other much more famous blogs out there that have thousands of readers and millions of hits every day. And so they say that this is pointless, that I'm going overboard with the effort put into this site. Why do so much? Why not wait until it is actually well-known and widely-read? Simply because I don't see how relatively low (relatively being the key word) readership is an excuse to cheap and low-quality content. Relatively low readership is still readership, and it doesn't mean that those readers should expect anything less.

Here's to the crazy ones; here's to the new team. Here's to Suburban KID.

No comments :